BOOK OF THE LAW OF THE LORD
BOOK ONE OF TWO VOLUMES
Revelation given to Joseph Smith, Jr., at Fayette, New York, in the opening days of 1831.
"And that ye might escape the power of the enemy, and be gathered unto me a righteous people, without spot and blameless: wherefore, for this cause I gave unto you the commandment, that you should GO TO THE OHIO; AND THERE I WILL GIVE UNTO YOU MY LAW;" RLDS Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:7a,b
VOLUME II IS THE BOOK OF NAMES, which is a record of the names of all those who agree to follow the laws of God to the best of their understanding and ability. The book of Names will be maintained by the Church Recorder in the church archives .
Any member of the church, after reading the Book of the Law, who agrees with the scriptural requirements contained therein, may at their own request, have their name enrolled in the Book of Names. The Church Recorder will enroll their name.
If anyone, after having their name enrolled in the Book of Names should leave the church, or if anyone is expelled from the church for cause by a church court, their name shall be blotted out of the Book of Names.
“Thou shalt take the things which thou hast received, which have been given unto thee in my Scriptures for a law, to be my law, to govern my church; and he that doeth according to these things, shall be saved, and he that doeth them not shall be damned, if he continues.” D&C 42:16a, b
“And it came to pass, when the king had heard the words of the book of the law, that he rent his clothes. And the king commanded Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Achbor the son of Michaiah, and Shaphan the scribe, and Asahiah a servant of the king's, saying, Go ye, inquire of the Lord for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found; for great is the wrath of the Lord that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that is written concerning us.” 2 Kings 22:11-13
The following revelation was given to Joseph Smith, Jr., March 8, 1833.
“Verily I say unto you, The keys of this kingdom shall never be taken from you, while thou art in the world, neither in the world to come; nevertheless, through you shall the oracles be given to another; yea, even unto the church.” And all they who receive the oracles of God, let them beware how they hold them, lest they are accounted as a light thing, and are brought under condemnation thereby; and stumble and fall, when the storms descend, and the winds blow, and the rains descend, and beat upon their house.”
D&C 87:2a, b
The oracles spoken of are the revelations given through the Prophet containing the pattern for re-establishing God’s Church and Kingdom upon the earth.
THE BOARD OF PUBLICATION OF THE
CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST
© Copyright 2001
First Printing March 2001
Second Printing August 2001
Church of Jesus Christ Restored 1830
First Quorum of Restoration Seventy
Post Office Box 3048
Independence, Missouri 64055
All rights reserved. No part of the text may be reproduced
In any form without written permission of the Fire Mountain Press
PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
To the faithful toilers on an incessantly changing manuscript as new insight emerged. To the members of the First Quorum of Restoration Seventy and their wives, who spent countless hours in prayer, fasting and in numerous meetings to arm themselves with a better understanding of the pattern God has given us for the governing of his Church and Kingdom. The unity, loving patience while researching and editing all worked together to complete the work as commanded by the Lord.
Nolan and Nancy Glauner
Bill and Lily Green
Glenn and Catherine Hughes
Leonard and Betty Rose Liedeke
Richard and Metta Weston
Doctrine and Covenants references are taken from the RLDS Edition.
Bible references are taken from the Inspired Version of the scriptures.
Book of Mormon references are taken from the 1908 Edition.
The following was received in a request to God, “What should be written for an introduction or preface to the Book Of The Law Of The Lord?”
Sibley, Missouri; received by Seventy Nolan W. Glauner
January 23, 2001
1. All ye who labor and are heavy laden, come unto me and I will give you rest.
2. For know that it is I who must build my house, for if any other build it, they build in vain.
3. It is yet a little while and my vineyard shall be ready.
4. The vintage is ripe upon the vine.
5. I will reap the harvest and I will tread the winepress, for I do not plant without hope, and the wicked shall not stand.
6. My Saints are hope within my breast saith the Lord.
7. Come together and make a joyful noise, lift up your voices as one upon my hills of Zion.
8. Step outside of your petty bigotry and stand as I have called you, as obedient sons and daughters in my law, for my word is my law, which is sharper than a two edged sword unto the dividing asunder of both joints and marrow.
9. Rise up, my sons and daughters of Zion, and put on clean garments.
10. Put off your doubts, your fears and your suspicions.
11. Embrace my word and cling to all that I have given you through my true prophets.
12. But know that not all who say Lord, Lord are of me, but those who love me and do my will are mine, saith the Lord.
13. The day is drawing toward the close, and the opportunity to serve and store up treasures in heaven will have past.
14. Think not that you can sit idly by, heeding the fables of men who soothe your consciences, yet leave your work undone, and receive the reward of the laborer.
15. You must serve me and my Son who is my word made flesh, who has been with me from the beginning, and whose going forth has been from eternity, if you would receive a reward from my hand.
16. For if I do not call you to the work, for whom do you labor, and from whom do you receive your wages?
17. If ye desire an inheritance with my sons and daughters who have overcome the world, ye must also overcome the world.
18. Embrace my Son, cease listening to every wind of doctrine that the enemy has spewed forth upon the earth to mislead you.
19. Come and drink of the waters of life freely and eat of the bread which will fill your hungry souls.
20. My body is bread indeed and my blood is drink indeed. Sanctify yourselves by washing and cleanse yourselves by mine Holy ordinances.
21. Confess and forsake your sins and you may eat and drink of my word and my Spirit, saith the Lord.
22. Do not partake unworthily as some of you are doing at this time, not discerning my body.
23. I will gather you if you will be gathered, saith the Lord, but if ye refuse me, Zion shall not be a place of joy and refuge for you and your inheritance will be given unto another. Amen